Tuesday, April 8, 2008

I'm a Prophet?


We had a wonderful weekend listening to General Conference.
It is always so nice to be so spiritually fed right in the comfort of home. I can't say it was peaceful and quiet the entire time and that I was able to hear everything that was said, but I did get a lot of encouragement to be better and my testimony was strengthened. On Saturday afternoon, Mckay was sitting on my lap for a brief moment while we were watching Elder Walker speak. He was talking about the importance of having three members of a presidency. He told how his grandparents always had a picture of the First Presidency in the entry way of their home, and that he always knew that "...in this home, we will serve the Lord." He mentioned the Prophet at that time was David O. Mckay. Mckay happened to be listening and said "Mom, am I a Prophet?" I helped him understand that he was named after a very special Prophet and that maybe one day he would be a Prophet. It was a special moment when he understood a little bit about the importance of his name. I am grateful for these special learning moments.

I loved Elder Bednar's talk on prayer and the importance of sincere prayer. Prayer is our sacred opportunity to hear the will of our Father for us. I think it was Sister Tanner who talked about the divine role of mothers. Mother's are given the natural ability to be nurturers and care for their children. I am grateful to be a mother and the opportunity I have to be home with my children. I know that I will look back in 15 years and wonder how time flew by so fast. I am going to work on being a better nurturer, teacher, and enjoy the time I have with my children.

11 comments:

Ashley Bennion said...

That is precious. I have always loved President David O. McKay and that is why we chose McKay for Beau's middle name. Hope you are doing well :)

Tammy said...

I love what you said. It is so true. I got a lot out of conference as well. Thank you so much for helping me with my blog. It is so much fun. Love ya

TC Jolley said...

Kate you are awesome! Your stregnth stregnthens me :) I love your blog! I want to make mine more springy! Let me know if you have time to change it... and this time I'm paying!!!

Lindz said...

What a cute story about Mckay asking if he was a prophet! And thanks for the update on a few of the conference talks...I'll have to especially look for those ones when I watch again...we didn't have much time for conference this weekend b/c of all the craziness! =) Ha!

Ashley K. said...

Thanks for the sweet words.

Heidi said...

That's awesome. I didn't know he was named after him. I enjoyed confrence too. I think is was Elder Ballard who spoke about young mothers. I loved that one. I especially liked it how he spoke directly to the children. That will be one that I read again for sure.

Melissa said...

Katie, I loved General Confernce! It is so nice to feel spritually fed. Every talk was wonderful and how special that you had a sweet moment with your son as he is learning more and more about the gospel.
A great Post!

Nielson said...

That is the cutest story about Mckay--I love the thoughts and words that come out of their mouths!

Anonymous said...

I love General Conference weekend, too! We are always so spiritually fed, especially when the children are quite, the baby is sleeping, and Hugh and I are awake, which is most of the time! I always like to have yummy food around, too. Cute McKay! What a great person for him to look up to.

sunshine said...

GC was so great! Thank you so much for reminding us to be better moms!

britta said...

I love your new blog design. You are so talented.